An effective reimbursement policy is a set of guidelines that dictates different purchases that employees can make on behalf of their company by using cash, personal credit card, etc. It is beneficial for a business to repay employees for any out-of-pocket expenses. Sometimes, these expenses are prevalent for any event planning or business travel. For example, an employee might pay cab fare from the airport to a conference centre, but he needs to know how they will get the reimbursement for the expense.
How To Build An Expense Reimbursement Policy?
Reimbursement claim is an important term in this policy, where the company assures employees of the quick repayment of business-related expenses. There are a few critical steps to building an expense reimbursement policy, and those are as follows:
1. Create Specific Guidelines:
- First, we need to know whether the expense is travel related or not. If yes, then we should have proper guidelines for what are the things that we will count as reimbursable expenses.
- Expenses unrelated to travel can also be reimbursable if they fulfil all the criteria per the accountable plan rules. Most importantly, these expenses must be work-related, and employees should report these costs to their company promptly.
2. Outline How To Report Expenses:
- First, employees need to track their purchases by saving receipts. They may also use some expense managing tools to automate expense reports, which will help simplify travel expense tracking.
- Next, they need to set reasonable deadlines for filing expense reports because it is essential to close the books and reimburse employees promptly.
- In such cases, employers should separate the reimbursement amount from an employee’s wage as these are not taxable income according to the IRS’s accountable plan criteria.
3. Implement Employee Expense Policy:
- Proper documentation and implementation are the keys to any policy success; therefore, we must make our company’s expense reimbursement policy clear and specific.
- We should understand the ins and outs of accounting before testing it out on employees. Most importantly, testing a new policy on a focus group plays a significant role in checking whether we need to explain or simplify the accountable plan to everyone or not.
Essential Steps to Follow For Getting Quick Reimbursement:
- Create expense reports on the go and import credit card transactions.
- Upload receipts to a photo gallery and then attach them to the expense report.
- Enter expense information required by the employer and then check what expenses are out-of-policy.
- It is time to submit the report for quick approval.
- Finally, check the status of the expense reimbursement from the company side until you get the money.
Nowadays, various online platforms in India help companies save time and money by allowing their employees to submit and approve expense reports online without any hassles. Moreover, it reduces the need for our accounting team to handle paper receipts or manually enter data into a spreadsheet. Therefore, the employee expense reimbursement process has become easy to use and flexible enough to accommodate the requirements of any large or small organisation. Moreover, these virtual platforms work seamlessly with most current payroll, accounting systems, and all major credit cards.